Thursday, November 19, 2009

Making my own laundry detergent

I am about to try to make a batch of my own laundry detergent...for the 1st time ever! I found the recipe online & have been wanting to try it out. It consists of the following:
Laundry soap or Castile Soap (grated finely)
1 cup Borax
1 cup washing soda

It is supposed to be very effective & very economical...my main goal. We shall see. So far, the Borax was $4.79 for a big box, and the bar of laundry soap I bought was 79 cents (I think in the future I can splurge for some kind of lavender scented castile soap or something, but for now, this was all the grocery store had! I do have Lavender drops that I may try to add to the mixture...). The washing soda is supposedly $3.99......I think the website I found said it costs about 10 cents per load of laundry!!?? Not too bad!

I just found out that I can buy the washing soda at my local Ace Hardware (after being unsuccessful at 2 local grocery stores) So, we are off to buy the washing soda and get to making.....we will update in a bit on how its going!!! (-:



It made about 16 oz. I put it all in the blender and it ground up the soap really well...to a powder. I am doing my 1st load right now. I must admit that the "Octagon" laundry soap I used does not smell that fabulous.....I added about 10 drops of lavender to the mix to hopefully compensate. I think in the future I will use a better smelling soap, like Dr Bonner's. But the way I made it...it's about 6 cents per load of laundry! And we do a lot of laundry around here!!
Update: I just took out the 1st load of laundry & it smells pretty good! I also ordered 3 bars of Dr Bonner's Castile soap from online...lavender, Eucalyptus & Almond. I might be making some homemade Christmas gifts.....(-:

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have done this before and the results were okay, but decided I was too lazy to keep grating soap. If you're anything like me they sell a huge bucket of laundry powder at Sam's club that works out to .10 or less per load.

Blog Archive