Sunday, September 4, 2011

So, have I mentioned....

that I have gestational diabetes this time around? I guess I should be thankful that I made it through 4 other pregnancies without it. But, this time around...not so lucky. And the diabetes clinic that I go to is hard core! They have some pretty aggressive parameters (believe me, I know...I have talked to several other former GD moms and have done mega research on the Internet!) I have to check my blood sugar 4 times a day...and they want my fasting blood sugar (the one when you 1st wake up) to be less than 90. Then, I have to check my sugar 1 hr after each meal. They want it less than 120 ONE hour after the meal. Of course, I had to totally adjust my diet, start counting carbs, eating snacks between meals...the diet itself is not too bad. But every now & then I just want to say "screw it! I want pancakes with syrup!" LOL! I even lost 5 lbs the 1st week I was on the diet. Since then, another 2 lbs or so. So far, I am up about 15 lbs from my pre-pregnancy weight. Well, despite my best efforts (and even my Hgb A1C (blood work) going down from 5.5 to 5.2) they have decided I need to start on insulin at bedtime. )-: Tonight is night #3. I started with 12 units of NPH insulin. The goal is that it will bring my fasting AM blood sugar down below 90. I have to keep adding 4 units each night until we get there. So, tonight, I will be taking 20 units...grrrr!!!!!! Once I hit below 90 in the morning, (normally, w/o insulin I was 95-100 in the morning), I then increase my insulin dose by 2 units each night until my morning blood sugar is <80. Fun stuff! My OBGYN mentioned that if I went on insulin, it would "totally change the way they manage my care". I will find out on Friday exactly what that entails. Looks like more frequent appointments, non stress tests, ultrasounds, amniotic fluid measuring....and delivery by 38 or 39 weeks. I am even starting to worry that they may suggest a C-section....since one Dr made the comment that if I went into labor on my own at 38 weeks, that would "be perfect"...and "we would hate to induce you since you have had a previous C-section"...so I worry...what if I don't go into labor again on my own at 38 weeks? Will they press to do a scheduled C-section? I know I have had one...17 yrs ago...and it was fine, but I am a lot older now & a nurse who fully recognizes all of the risks associated with a major abdominal surgery! Not to mention that it would take me longer to recover from it & I would not be able to return to work as early as planned (4 to 6 weeks after delivery)...which is what I had hoped to do since Shane lost his job back in June & we cannot survive on unemployment alone for long! Anyways...I am rambling I suppose. Here are some pictures from recent days....





0 comments:

Blog Archive